Have you filled up recently? It's fantastic! Even though gas prices are at a low right now, here are some great things to remember to help increase your gas mileage.
- Avoid higher-octane fuel unless its recommended for your RV. Premium fuel is more expensive, so use regular if you have that option.
- Change your air filter at the proper intervals. Clean air filters improve performance and fuel efficiency. While this may vary depending on the RV, you are likely to increase your fuel economy by up to 10 percent.
- Check your tire pressure and adjust it according to the recommended levels for your RV. This will not only prevent premature tire wear but also increase your fuel economy by up to 3 percent.
- Use cruise control whenever possible. It helps save gas because it keeps the RV at a constant, rather than variable, speed. This is especially effective when traveling on the highway at about 60 mph.
- Keep your RV tuned up and in top running condition to increase the fuel mileage. Make sure plugs, shocks and wires are working properly.
- Keep the RV at the recommended weight when traveling. While this is sometimes difficult, extra weight on an RV causes it to use more power.
- Follow other service and maintenance schedules. For example, take your RV in for frequent oil changes and fluid topping to ensure that it functions efficiently.
- Use synthetic oils to increase fuel efficiency. Use the recommended grade.
- Turn off the dash air conditioner if you do not need it. It will put less stress on the engine and help improve gas mileage.